STATEMENT OF THE REASONS FOR THE DECISION:
Staffordshire Moorlands is currently covered by a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) which came into force on 19th October 2020.
A person is in breach of the current Order if:
1) A dog defecates at any time on land described in Schedule 1 and he/she fails to remove the faeces from the land forthwith.
2) He/she does not comply with a direction given him/her by an Authorised Officer of the Authority to put and keep the dog on a lead of not more than four feet in length when on land described in Schedule 1.
3) He/she enters any land described in Schedule 2 and does not keep the dog on a lead of not more than four feet in length.
4) He/she takes the dog onto or permits the dog to enter or remain on any land described in Schedule 3.
5) An Authorised Officer of the Authority has reason to believe that a person has committed an offence under this Order and the person: (a) fails to give his/her name and address when asked to do so, or (b) gives a false or inaccurate name or address.
The Orders will cease to have effect on 20th October 2023 and thus need to be extended or replaced if the Council wishes to continue to have the power to take action in respect of dog fouling and nuisance behaviour.
ANY ALTERNATIVES CONSIDERED:
The Council could choose to not replace the current Order when it expires and no longer take enforcement action in respect of dog fouling.
The Portfolio Holder;
1) AGREED to carry out the statutorily required public consultation and notification on the draft Order appended to this report;
2) Subsequently APPROVED the draft Order by Delegated Decision unless the responses from the consultation necessitate material changes to the draft Order.
A RECORD OF ANY CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARED:
A NOTE OF ANY DISPENSATION, IF GRANTED: